CityFolk is an acoustic folk group that plays their own original compositions as well as music spanning from acoustic contemporary folk to light jazz, bluegrass and country folk/rock. Originally based in Washington, D.C., but now residing in North Carolina, the group consists of Jane Muldoon-Smith (lead vocals, guitar, and mandolin), along with husband Peter Smith (lead and background vocals, lead 6 and 12 string guitars, mandolin, and guitar synthesizer) and occasionally their daughter, Joanna, on upright bass and guitar.
Jane performed in the DC folk music scene while attending college there, having shared the stage with such local DC celebrities as Mary Chapin-Carpenter. She is an active member and soloist in the Symphonic and Chamber Choirs of the Concert Singers of Cary. She has sung in several programs with the choir and the North Carolina Symphony and the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle. Jane has also been selected to sing the National Anthem at Durham Bulls games.
Pete is a classically trained guitarist having studied music at The American University with John Marlow, a protégé of Andres Segovia, and he has studied with noted jazz guitarist and former Chapel Hill resident, Howard Morgen. Pete played solo guitar for many years in the DC area including several folk and rock bands before joining with Jane to form CityFolk. He has performed classical guitar accompaniment for several Concert Singers of Cary performances. Pete expanded his performance credits to include writing and performing a portion of the score used in the Applause! Cary Youth Theater’s production of the “Pied Piper of Hamelin”. He also plays the walkabout dulcimer and is a certified guitar repair technician/luthier.
Joanna provides upright bass for CityFolk when she is not attending school. She has served as the Principal bassist for the Triangle Youth Symphony and has been a NC All State musician. She has performed in several concerts at the Meymandi Concert Hall in Raleigh with the Youth Symphony and has performed with the UNC Wilmington string orchestra.
Our Bio – Performance Poster – Marketing Materials – Repertoire
- For a printer friendly version of our detailed bio and background suitable for including in brochures, click on CityFolk Overview.
- For a performance poster, select CityFolk Performance Flyer and complete the bottom portion with any performance details.
- For a single page marketing overview with pictures, please click here.
- For various promotional pictures of us, please click here or refer to our Photos page.
- For a sample list of our repertoire, click here.
- For videos of some of our live performances, click here.
Note: Some of the above links will require that you have installed the Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) document viewer.
Where We’ve Played
CityFolk has performed in the Triangle area for over 19 years for a wide variety of venues and private parties including:
- Several local coffee houses in the area
- Irregardless Cafe in Raleigh (ongoing engagement)
- Sacred Grounds Coffeehouse (ongoing engagement)
- Western Wake Farmers Market (ongoing engagement)
- The Roost at Fearrington Village
- North Ridge Country Club in Raleigh
- Oasis in Carr Mill in Carrboro
- Bynum Front Porch Music Series
- Pittsboro Roadhouse
- Apex Farmers Market
- Holly Springs Farmers Market
- Toast Cafe, Waverly Plaza in Cary
- Cary Spring Daze and Lazy Daze
- The Mill, Fuquay-Varina
- Apex Today and Yesteryear Fall Festival (three years running)
- Museum of Science – First Fridays
- Westover Beer Garden – Arlington, VA
- Various retirement communities
They have been featured performers at the Cary Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony where they composed and performed a song to commemorate the event to rave reviews. They also performed in “A Little Summer Night Music: Broadway Love Songs Under the Stars” sponsored by Cary Parks and Recreation.
CityFolk has also opened for nationally known terrifically talented singer/songwriters (see our Links page) Kate Campbell and Carrie Newcomer.
Below are some samples off their CD. If the widget player does not play correctly, please click here to go directly to their CDBaby website.