Jane and Pete first met in a church folk group at Holy Trinity in Georgetown over 30 years ago and the rest, as they say is history.
Jane performed in the DC folk music scene while attending college there, having shared the stage with such local DC celebrities as Mary Chapin-Carpenter. She is also an active member and soloist in the Symphonic and Chamber Choirs of the Concert Singers of Cary. She has sung in several programs with the choir and the North Carolina Symphony. Jane has also been selected to sing the National Anthem at Durham Bulls games.
Pete is a classically trained guitarist having studied music at The American University with John Marlow, a protégé of Andres Segovia, and he has studied with noted jazz guitarist and former Chapel Hill resident, Howard Morgen. Pete played solo guitar for many years in the DC area including several folk and rock bands before joining with Jane to form CityFolk. He has performed classical guitar accompaniment for several Concert Singers of Cary performances. Pete expanded his performance credits to include writing and performing a portion of the score used in the Applause! Cary Youth Theater’s production of the “Pied Piper of Hamelin”. He has recently picked up the mandolin and is also a certified guitar repair technician/luthier.
Joanna has served as the Principal bassist for the Triangle Youth Symphony and has been a NC All State musician. She has performed in several concerts at the Meymandi Concert Hall in Raleigh with the Youth Symphony and has performed with the UNCW string orchestra. She also plays guitar and provides backup vocals.
- For a printer friendly version of our bio and background suitable for including in brochures or for using as advertising posters, select CityFolk Overview or CityFolk Generic Flyer. This will require that you have installed the Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) document viewer.
- For some promotional pictures of us, please click here.
Where We’ve Played
Known for tight vocal harmonies, varied instrumentation and repertoire, we have performed in the Triangle area at numerous venues including:
- Several local coffee houses in the area
- Irregardless Cafe in Raleigh
- Sacred Grounds Coffeehouse
- Bynum Front Porch Music Series
- Pittsboro Roadhouse and General Store
- Western Wake Farmers Market
- Cary Spring Daze and Lazy Daze
- Apex Today and Yesteryear Fall Festival (three years running)
- Museum of Science – First Fridays
- St Giles Presbyterian Church Fall Festival
- The Vineyard Cafe in Raleigh
- The Coffee Mill in Clayton
- Westover Beer Garden – Arlington, VA
We have been featured performers at the Cary Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony where we composed and performed a song to commemorate the event to rave reviews. We also performed in “A Little Summer Night Music: Broadway Love Songs Under the Stars” sponsored by Cary Parks and Recreation.
CityFolk has opened for the terrifically talented singer/songwriters (see our Links page) Kate Campbell and Carrie Newcomer.
Below are some samples off our new CD. If the widget player does not play correctly, please click here to go directly to our CDBaby website.